Very often balconies and loggias are turned into a warehouse of unnecessary things. Meanwhile, throwing out unnecessary trash and carrying out repairs, you can get additional meters of usable area. Here you can arrange a winter garden, create a comfortable recreation area or a place for sports. The construction market offers many modern materials in order to make the balcony unique, warm and cozy.
Preparing for repair
At the preparatory stage, a project for the implementation of construction and repair works is drawn up and its budget is calculated. The sequence of work is determined, the need for heating the balcony and the choice of a heat source, the calculation of the required amount of materials for insulation and exterior decoration of the balcony.
The preparatory part of the repair work is carried out in several stages:
Choice of quality glazing
Repair of a balcony or loggia begins with the selection and installation of glazing. Glazing can be "cold" and "warm":
- cold glazing - these are aluminum or polyvinyl chloride structures with single glass filling. Such a design will protect the balcony from wind, dust and precipitation, but it will not be able to retain heat, and in the cold season it will freeze;
- warm glazing - these are structures made of PVC profile, warm aluminum (systems with a thermal bridge) or wood, filled with double-glazed windows. Warm glazing will make the operation of the balcony comfortable at any time of the year. If the repair of the balcony is carried out in order to combine with the living quarters, then for glazing constructions with an assembly width of at least 70 mm with filling with energy-saving two-chamber double-glazed windows 40 mm thick must be used. Such enclosing structures have a high coefficient of resistance to heat transfer and are used for glazing residential premises.
If it is supposed to insulate the balcony and part of the balcony frame gets under the lining, then special additional profiles are used that increase the opaque part of the structure. You need to choose the type of glazing based on the functional purpose of the balcony after repair work.
The balcony floor is characterized by the presence of a large number of irregularities, potholes and cracks. In addition, it has a slope towards the street to drain precipitation. In the presence of large irregularities, leveling the floor with a cement screed means significantly increasing the weight of the balcony. In addition, you will have to wait until the screed is completely dry in order to continue the repair. Alternatively, you can consider the use of lightweight and natural wood logs for leveling.
To do this, you need planed wooden blocks with a cross section of 50x50 mm, anchor dowels, and spacer plastic wedges.
Read about how to properly lay the logs here.
Since the tree is prone to rotting in a humid environment, it must first be treated with an antiseptic or impregnation and dried thoroughly.
In order to minimize the ingress of moisture on the wood, the floor surface is waterproofed before laying. For these purposes, a waterproofing film is used.
There are other proven methods as well. Bituminous mastic or roofing felt are excellent moisture insulators. The mastic is sold ready-made or thinned with a solvent.
Wall and ceiling lathing for panels
The lathing serves as a frame on which the interior trim elements are attached. For its manufacture, a dry high-quality timber is used. The thickness of the lathing timber depends on the parameters of the insulation.
Beams and all other wooden materials used for finishing are covered with an antiseptic. Work on the lathing device begins with a marking. The timber is cut into identical elements and fixed to the walls with dowels in accordance with the markings.
Lighting and sockets
If it is planned to bring electricity to the balcony, then simultaneously with the installation of the crate, an electric cable and other communications are laid, places for the installation of sockets and switches are selected. It is necessary to determine the number of lighting fixtures in advance. The power supply system will depend on the amount of power consumed. Possible voltage sources:
- junction box;
- the outlet closest to the loggia.
To prevent undesirable consequences, electrical wires must be insulated in special metal hoses.
Insulation of walls, ceiling and floor
After the installation of the lathing, you can proceed directly to the insulation of the walls and ceiling. The wall adjacent to the apartment and the ceiling do not require insulation, if the floor of the neighbors is insulated on top. The following materials are used to insulate balconies:
- mineral wool has high thermal insulation properties, but is hygroscopic and requires the use of waterproofing;
- Styrofoam has good thermal insulation properties, light weight. This is the cheapest option for insulation;
- penoplex - moisture resistant and durable material, is the best solution for insulating balconies and loggias.
Penoplex is usually chosen for walls and floors, and it is convenient to insulate the ceiling with light foam. The insulation material is attached to the crate cells with glue or foam. If mineral wool is chosen as a heater, then it is used in conjunction with a vapor barrier film, since the accumulated moisture impairs the thermal insulation properties of the material.
Recently, new foil materials are gaining popularity, which combine the functions of insulation and moisture insulation.
If heating of the balcony is planned, then "warm floor" is one of the options for a heat source. Warm floors are subdivided into:
Installation of an electric "warm floor" with cable heating is carried out in the following sequence:
- a layer of thermal insulation is placed on the screed - mineral wool, penofol or expanded polystyrene;
- installation of a metal reinforcing mesh to which the cable will be attached;
- fastening the heating cable to the grid;
- installation of a temperature controller;
- concreting the area with a cement compound;
- laying tiles or linoleum.
Instead of cable heating, an infrared "warm floor" system can be used, which does not require screed filling. The system uses film heaters.
Infrared floor can be covered with linoleum or laminate. Warm floors have gained particular popularity for heating balconies for their easy installation in limited space.
The choice of material for wall, floor and ceiling decoration
Various materials are used for wall decoration: PVC or MDF panels, drywall, OSB with further painting or wallpapering, and wooden lining. Decorating the walls with wooden clapboard is the most optimal option, which has practically no drawbacks.
Natural material looks great, is durable and environmentally friendly, easy to install. The installation of the lining begins from any corner of the balcony, and the first board is fixed strictly according to the level.
Installation is simple - each subsequent panel is inserted into the groove of the previous one. The lining is fastened to the crate with nails, self-tapping screws or on clamps.
The flooring options are also quite varied: ceramic tiles, floorboards, linoleum or laminate. It all depends on personal preference and financial component.
For finishing the ceiling, wooden lining, PVC panels, tension or suspension systems and classic whitewashing are used.
Finishing the ceiling with PVC panels is budgetary, practical, durable and easy to install. Ceiling panels can be just white, colored or imitate natural materials: wood, stone, marble. Panels differ in width from 10 cm to 500 cm. Knowing the area of the balcony, it will not be difficult to choose the right amount of material.
When starting to install the ceiling covering, you must make sure that it will not interfere with the tearing off of the window sash. Each part is inserted with its protrusion into the groove on the previous panel and fits tightly with it. The cladding elements are fastened to the sheathing frame using screws, nails or staples.
It is necessary to dock adjacent parts quite tightly in order to avoid the appearance of gaps.
For finishing the slopes, plastering, plasterboard sheets and plastic panels are used:
- plaster - the traditional way of finishing. But with the advent of new finishing materials, the method is losing its popularity. The plastering process is very laborious, requires additional painting of the slopes, does not provide the necessary heat and sound insulation. The advantages include the low cost of finishing and the possibility of repainting to give a fresh look;
- drywall - a popular type of finishing due to the ease of installation, low cost of material and the ability to complete the finishing in a short time. The disadvantages include insufficient moisture resistance and the need for additional finishing - putty and painting;
- PVC panels - the ideal type of finish if the window and balcony door are also made of PVC. The uniform surface of translucent structures and slopes looks aesthetically pleasing. In addition, the installation of PVC panels is quick and easy. This type of finish does not require additional processing, and provides a choice of different colors. PVC panels are durable, UV resistant and easy to clean. If you trim the entire balcony with PVC panels, then the surfaces of the slopes and walls will look like a single whole.
Installation of finishing decorative corners and skirting boards
After warming and finishing the slopes, decorative elements are installed: corners and baseboards. As a rule, the installation of these components is simple and does not take much time.
Installation of the luminaire
To illuminate the balcony, you can use classic chandeliers, sconces, floor lamps, spotlights and LED strip.
If the balcony is large, then the lighting can be complex, it is possible to create local lighting zones.
When choosing a luminaire, special attention should be paid to the direction of the light flow. Direct light fixtures are suitable for balconies with low ceilings, for illuminating a specific object, for illuminating reading areas. Sources of diffused light will make the room of a dark balcony more comfortable for visual perception.
Luminaires that are reflective will save you electricity bills and create extra comfort.
A self-repaired balcony is not only additional comfort and an aesthetically attractive appearance, it is a source of pride and incentive for further improvement of the home.
Do not forget to also watch a useful video from our experts:
How to finish the ceiling on a loggia
Warm air always rushes up and out through the ceiling. Therefore, the first task is to insulate the ceiling. Foil-clad polyethylene foam is suitable for these purposes. But this method is only suitable for insulating ceiling tiles, because it will not be possible to sheathe the last floor. Problems will not arise if an expansion profile has been installed and there is space for insulation.
What to do if an expansion profile is missing?
- Then it is advisable to use thinner heaters. Penoplex provides good thermal insulation. Although it is thinner than foam, thermal insulation performance is more reliable.
- The desired effect can be obtained by using a dense vapor barrier. It is useful, does not allow moisture to settle on the ceiling.
- The effect of thermal insulation of the ceiling can be achieved by using a thin profile for suspended structures. These can be wooden blocks of the desired size.
- If you're looking to save space, plastic panels or thin drywall will work as opposed to thicker siding and clapboard materials.
For the final finishing of the ceiling, you can use any materials:
The scheme of insulation and finishing of the ceiling on the balcony.
The choice of material can be made taking into account the tastes and preferences of the owner of the balcony. The plaster is suitable for the final finishing of non-insulated balconies. Its advantages are durability, moisture and frost resistance.
This stage is performed if the cladding is made of PVC, MDF, siding panels or lining.
For the lathing, a wooden beam with a section of 20x30 mm is used.
Tools that you need for work:
- screwdriver, drill or screwdriver;
- jigsaw, saw or other tool for cutting wood;
- self-tapping screws, dowels;
- building level (hydro level).
Installation starts from the bottom of the wall. The first rail is mounted, retreating from the floor surface of 5 cm. A distance of 40-60 cm is maintained between the slats - in this case, the frame is stable. When working, be sure to check the evenness of each rail using a building level - the final result depends on the correct installation of the lathing.
Dowels and self-tapping screws are used to fix the rails to the balcony wall. They work from the bottom up, in stages, installing the frame first on one wall, then moving on to the next.
It must be remembered that the sheathing bars are installed horizontally if they plan to place the panels vertically, and for horizontal or diagonal sheathing, the slats are fixed vertically.
If the wall has defects (chips, irregularities), when installing the frame, a plumb line is used to determine the place and degree of deviation of the site, wedges are placed under the rail in the places of the chips.
MDF panels were invented by accident, contributed to the malfunction of the steam press and the forgetfulness of the inventor William Mason. Chipboards are made from waste obtained after processing wood materials. MDF panels are stronger and more durable than chipboards due to the use of surface lamination. The panels are resistant to high humidity
With the help of a special processing technology, the surface of MDF boards is smoother and has constant dimensions, which is very important when finishing
MDF boards are produced in three main types, which have water, fire and bio-resistant characteristics.
The use of MDF panels for covering a balcony or loggia has proven itself well and is considered a good option in terms of financial savings.
Installation is carried out using wooden guides, as well as clapboard cladding. This method makes it possible to hide the unevenness of the walls of the balcony, to use thermal insulation materials. In the case of using MDF boards, special brackets are also required. So the main difference is only in the price.
Advantages of MDF boards
1. Moisture resistance (possibility of wet cleaning). 2. Strength (comparable in strength to wood, exceeding chipboard in this characteristic). 3. Low thermal conductivity. 4. Durability (resistant to temperature changes, not susceptible to mold, fungal diseases, insect damage) 5. Availability of installation without special training. 6. High density of the material (if possible, it allows processing plates on a milling machine, creating a variety of relief). 7. Low price performance.
Disadvantages of MDF boards
1. Large weight (it is heavier than a wooden board of the same size). 2. Increased dust formation (requires the use of a respirator when processing plates). 3. The need to drill holes for fasteners (nails, screws). 4. The composition of MDF boards contains adhesives and synthetic resins, which increase the moisture resistance of the boards, but often contain harmful ingredients such as formaldehyde.
The material that is planned to be used for the interior decoration of the balcony must:
- be resistant to external influences (high humidity, sudden temperature changes);
- do not lose their attractive appearance over time (deform, fade in the sun);
- differ in durability and ease of maintenance. The most often used clapboard, siding, MDF panels, moisture-resistant drywall. PVC and sandwich panels.
Correctly prepared (treated with special impregnations with antiseptic components and fire retardants) lining meets all of the above requirements.
When buying, you need to pay attention to the class of the product - the higher it is, the better the material. It is not recommended to use class "C" lining for finishing
Siding panels can be used for cladding a balcony from the inside - the material was originally intended for finishing the outer surfaces of a building, therefore it is highly moisture resistant, does not fade in the sun, and tolerates temperature extremes well.
Moisture resistant drywall
Drywall for interior decoration is used only to create a base coat before applying decorative. It is cheap, allows you to level the walls, leaves room for the choice of finishing.
The walls do not need to be leveled before installing drywall, as well as to eliminate minor defects (for example, chips). The installation process is not particularly difficult. The disadvantages include the fragility of the material.
The only thing that must be taken into account is that drywall can only be used on a glazed and insulated balcony or loggia.
The material is distinguished by a variety of colors and textures, it is safe for health, durable, resistant to high humidity, and fireproof. It is easy to install, and it is easy to care for the finished coating. The panels themselves are lightweight, so they do not weigh down the balcony.
Wood-fiber panels have good performance, are distinguished by a large selection of colors and textures (the coating can be made of veneer, polymer film, panels with a relief pattern are produced). It is easy to sheathe a room with them, and the walls do not need preliminary processing.
Three-layer material - the outer fabrics are made of a durable and resistant to external influences substance, and the inner layer consists of thermal insulation.
Due to their structure, they are considered one of the most suitable materials for interior decoration of the balcony.
- Among the advantages of sandwich panels: light weight;
- immunity to mold and mildew;
- safe for health composition;
- good noise and heat insulation properties.
A balcony trimmed with such material does not require additional processing, the surfaces look aesthetically pleasing.
How to sheathe the balcony inside
The choice of material for cladding a balcony is determined by what temperature is maintained on it (or not maintained) in winter, and how the room is used. If the balcony is glazed, but not heated, and in winter it is mainly used for drying clothes, it can be sheathed with plastic panels or tiled with ceramic tiles. In this case, the appearance will turn out to be quite aesthetic, and cleaning does not take much time, and the durability of the finish is guaranteed.
Cork panels and decorative stone are used in the decoration for a heated balcony, on which a study is arranged or a seating area is equipped. The walls are pre-leveled with plasterboard under the cork sticker. You can also combine finishing materials, for example, use tiles, stone, plastic panels for the bottom, and wallpaper or paint the top. If the balcony is used as a utility room, any kind of wood-based panels can be used to decorate it.
There are plenty of materials for cladding a balcony, and there is always an opportunity to choose an option for a specific case.
Introductory video on the installation of lathing and finishing with plastic panels:
Interesting on the topic:
Flowers on the balcony - beauty and comfort!
Bar counter from the windowsill on a small balcony
Is it worth building a balcony in a private house: what you should pay attention to
Choosing gratings for the balcony and loggia
We create a cozy balcony
Balcony decoration with PVC panels
The material is lightweight and highly moisture resistant, but it is not suitable for families with small children, as babies unknowingly can deform the panels with sharp objects.
Apartment owners often choose to finish the balcony inside with plastic panels. If the loggia is not glazed, then first you should thoroughly insulate it, because at low temperatures the material can crack.
Unlike plastic plates, when decorating a balcony with a moisture-resistant laminate, such problems will not arise. They can even decorate a cold balcony - the material, due to a special substrate, will retain heat inside the glazed room.
Alternatively, tiles, vinyl siding and wood-like lining can be used for finishing the balcony. Interesting photos of the design of finishing the balcony are in our gallery.
Step-by-step instructions for finishing the balcony
Modern decoration of the balcony involves the use of waterproofing and insulating material. To properly perform repairs with your own hands, you need to adhere to the following rules:
Carry out the installation of the lathing, if plastic panels, siding, drywall or lining are used for finishing. Lay insulation, which can be mineral wool or foam
The interior decoration of the balcony is done for more than one year, so it is important to do everything according to the rules so that the resulting interior pleases the owners not only with its design, but also with its functionality. Attach bars around the doors and windows. Directly carry out the interior decoration of the balcony with your own hands using one of the selected materials. Dowels or clamps can be used for fastening.
After such a decorative interior decoration, not only he, but the whole apartment will be transformed. Interesting ideas for decorating a balcony and using it can be found on the Internet.
The above materials and stages of work will help you understand how to finish the balcony yourself. This does not require special education or experience in the construction industry. When thinking about how much it costs to finish a balcony, you need to take into account the price of the material, as well as the costs of its delivery and installation. If you do the installation yourself, it will be cheaper.
To make a long-lasting and beautiful finish of the balcony inside, you must first prepare it. Glazing is performed first. It can be cold or warm. Any option will protect the balcony space from wind, precipitation and large debris, and dust. If you plan to make the balcony part of the living space, combine it with an apartment, or arrange it as a separate functional area, then choose warm glazing with wood or plastic profiles.
The next mandatory preparatory process is thorough waterproofing. All cracks on the balcony are filled with polyurethane foam or special sealant. The surfaces are treated with impregnating or coating waterproofing so that moisture does not penetrate inside by capillary.
After waterproofing is completed, finishing work can be carried out if the balcony is not planned to be insulated. If it is insulated, then first, heaters are mounted.
For insulation, polystyrene, polystyrene foam or mineral wool is used. They choose a heater, taking into account its characteristics and prices.
Fig. 2 Insulation of the loggia before finishing
Fiberboard and chipboard are used for finishing heated balconies, as they react poorly to high humidity - they can warp, change their structure and swell. This can be said about all boards made on the basis of sawdust or shavings: MDF, chipboard, hard fiberboard, OSB.
A plus can be considered their low cost, the ability to cut in any direction and ease of installation. All types of wood-based panels, except for OSB, are produced with a decorative coating, so they do not need additional finishing. Installation is carried out on the crate. After that, the joints are masked with decorative elements, since the parts are joined together butt-to-joint.
Besides wall cladding, the slabs are suitable for flooring. They are laid on logs - beams located across the balcony slab and aligned in a horizontal plane.
If you need to perfectly align the walls for decorative finishing, it is better to sheathe the balcony with plasterboard. The material itself is not used for finishing, but is used as a basis for painting, wallpapering, including cork and bamboo, facing with stone and ceramic tiles.
Pluses of plasterboard cladding:
- You can create a perfectly flat surface;
- It is easy to lay insulation under the sheets of drywall;
- Easy to cut;
- The most convenient material for a spotlight device.
The disadvantage of drywall in the complexity of work with it: for installation, you need to arrange a crate, thereby hiding useful centimeters of an already small space
But if the balcony is large, well heated, and its design is important for the owners of the apartment, then drywall may be the best option for wall cladding
As a rule, the walls and the ceiling are simultaneously faced with plasterboard, which can be made in two levels (again, if the area of the balcony allows). Also, a stretch ceiling goes well with drywall.
Important. Even if the balcony is well insulated, it is better to use moisture-resistant drywall in its decoration (it differs from the usual in green)
This will insure in case there is no heating on the balcony for any reason.
Decorating the balcony with wooden clapboard
Wooden lining for cladding of premises is made from different types of wood: pine, aspen, larch, ash, linden. And if funds allow, you can use the more expensive, oak lining. In the interior of a cladded balcony, any tree looks great, but pine and linden are easy to process and have the lowest cost. Also, when choosing a cladding, one must take into account the class of wooden lining: "Premium", "A", "B" and "C". The higher the class, the better the quality of the wooden lining.
Wooden lining is an unrivaled material for balcony cladding.
The interior decoration of the balcony with clapboard begins with measurements. The area of the walls, ceiling minus the window and door openings gives the net finishing area.
Choice of materials
The interior decoration of the balcony with wooden clapboard requires such materials.
- Beam 60 × 40 mm.
- Rail 60 × 15 mm.
- Insulation foam or mineral wool, 40 mm thick.
- Vapor barrier material.
- Antiseptic wood preservative.
- Varnish for wood.
- Cladding fasteners.
You can also use a planed board for window sills and finishing window and door slopes.
After the installation of the cladding frame, wood finishing of the balcony begins. First, we cut the lining boards of the required length and quantity. Next, we take the first finishing board, cut off a spike from it, apply it to the wall with a cut and fix it. As fasteners for wooden lining, you can use clamps, nails driven obliquely or straight, through fastening with a plug. But the best option to solve the question of how to fix the wooden lining inside is to use clamps.
It is performed as follows. At the intersection of the lining and the strips of the sheathing frame, insert the clamps into the groove of the board and fasten them with nails. Next, we follow these steps. We take the next lining, insert its spike into the groove of the fixed board and press it tightly.
Note: in order for the lining to sit tightly, you can lightly tap it with a mallet or hammer, but after attaching the rail. Do not under any circumstances damage the groove ridge, otherwise the installation of the next cladding board will become problematic.
Install the rest of the lining boards in the same way. We cut the last one so that it fills the remaining space of the sheathing, and we nail it along the edge with nails. Subsequent installation of the cover strip will hide the nail heads.
A video on decorating a balcony with your own hands can be viewed here:
Internal insulation of the balcony
High-quality internal insulation is not a whim, but a necessity. You will be able to achieve a significant increase in air temperature in this area.
High-quality glazing plays a significant role in insulation. The absence of drafts instantly affects the microclimate. After installing the windows, you can go directly to the insulation.
First of all, you need to choose the right insulation. The following options should be considered:
Balcony insulation scheme with polystyrene foam.
- Styrofoam. This material is absolutely not afraid of moisture and temperature changes. It is quite durable. Slabs are mounted quite easily, in addition, you can choose the thickness of the plates, which is especially important for owners of miniature balconies.
- Extruded polystyrene foam. Modern insulation, completely suitable for the internal insulation of the balcony. It has all the qualities of foam and is fireproof.
- Mineral wool. This material can also be used, but you will have to attend to the purchase and installation of steam and waterproofing materials. Mineral wool absorbs water, which has an extremely negative effect on its heat-insulating properties.
Laminated panels are ordinary panels covered with a textured laminate film using a special technology.
Advantages of laminated panels
1. Antistatic. 2. Mechanical resistance. 3. Heat resistance. 4. Moisture resistance. 5. High wear resistance.
The panels have a large selection of colors and textures. They successfully imitate the texture of corduroy, wood, leather, linen, which is widely used by designers to create eco-style.
The material of laminated panels, unlike plastic ones, is antistatic, does not collect dust, which makes it easier to care for them. UV resistance allows them to be used on the sunny side of the apartment. It remains only to choose which panels to sheathe the balcony and get to work.
In order to maintain a good result for a long time and significantly expand the functionality of the room, simultaneously with the cladding, the balcony is insulated. This process is carried out after installing the battens and before starting the finishing.
The most popular materials are styrofoam, polystyrene foam and mineral wool. It is convenient to work with foam, mineral wool provides reliable sound insulation, foam is durable and fully meets the requirements for thermal insulation for a balcony.
The selected material is cut into layers, slightly larger than the width of the frame cell - this is necessary so that the thermal insulation is held stronger. Fasten using polyurethane foam and construction glue. Another option is to use nails or self-tapping screws for fixing, but in this case, you cannot press the material too tightly.
One of the finishing options is wooden lining. This option for cladding balconies has not gone out of fashion for many years. You can always use natural patterns of wood and its natural colors in the decor. It is an environmentally friendly material. Periodically treating with special antiseptics and moisture insulating preparations, you can extend the life of the wood panels.
It has long been known that wood carries good energy, breathes, radiates heat, retains heat, and gives the room a certain coziness and comfort.
The disadvantage of this finish is the high price compared to other materials.
Internal cladding of the balcony with PVC panels
Do-it-yourself interior decoration of the balcony with panels will be more economical than finishing the balcony with tiles, especially since this material is in no way inferior in color palette. With its help, it is easy to correct the curvature of the walls as successfully as when using a material such as plaster on beacons.
Balcony decoration with panels. A photo
Balcony decoration with PVC panels. A photo
The combination of noise absorption, moisture resistance and resistance to solar ultraviolet radiation gives plastic finishing materials important advantages.
To finish the loggia with your own hands with PVC panels, it is better to opt for panels with a width in the range of 30 to 50 cm and a thickness of at least 1 cm. Sheathing a balcony with PVC panels, with strict adherence to the recommendations, should not cause difficulties even for a non-professional in construction.
Interior decoration of the balcony with PVC panels is not so difficult. For training, watch the video below or read the article.
How to sheathe a balcony with video panels
Plastic panels can be easily adjusted to size using ordinary cutting tools, they do not require complex maintenance, they are fireproof. Stiffening ribs located on the inner side of the panels give them increased strength. This material is resistant to fading and significant fluctuations in ambient temperature.
Finishing the balcony with pvc panels. A photo
How to decorate the balcony inside. A photo
Each of the options for finishing the balcony with your own hands is quite realistic without resorting to the services of hired specialists. To do this, there is a huge selection of all kinds of building materials and several types of plaster, with which you can carefully prepare the work surface, decorate the interior and eliminate shortcomings. And then enjoy the results of your labor for more than one year.
Plastic lining, plastic panels have many advantages. They differ only in their connection. With proper assembly, the seams between the panels are visually and tactilely practically indistinguishable, and in the final version, the assembled canvas is a flat surface.
1. High strength due to high-grade plastic and special design of stiffeners. 2. High fire resistance. 3. High moisture resistance. 4. High biostability due to surface coating with special resins, which make the plastic resistant to aggressive substances.
The raw material for making plastic panels is 100% environmentally friendly material. Plastic does not react to ultraviolet radiation, does not change color for a long time, does not require additional processing in the form of painting, varnishing, and is very easy to clean.
There is a huge number of plastic panels on the market, which vary in color, size, texture, which gives a wide choice for design solutions.
If you need to create a cozy home environment on the balcony, cork panels are suitable for decoration. They are of natural origin as they are made from the bark of cork oak. The bottom layer of the panel with a thickness of 3-6 m consists of crushed and pressed cork, and the top layer is a natural cork veneer with a thickness of 1 mm, treated with a wax coating.
Benefits of cork:
- Does not burn;
- Easy to cut;
- Environmental friendliness;
- Does not rot;
- Does not attract dust;
- The upper wax layer ensures water resistance.
Panels are mounted on a leveled wall: if the outer wall is brick, it is first plastered and putty, after which the topcoat is glued. On very uneven surfaces, the main difficulty is leveling. The most reliable way to get a perfectly flat wall is to sheathe it with drywall. Since the drywall is attached to the crate, the outer walls can be additionally insulated by laying sheets of insulating material (mineral wool, fiberglass, expanded polystyrene) between the beams. The panels are glued with a special cork adhesive.
Important. The cork glue sets quickly, so you need to immediately glue the panel correctly, otherwise it will not be possible to move it later.
Despite the small range of colors, cork looks very noble and aesthetically pleasing. Mostly, panels are produced in coffee, brown, sand and beige shades close to natural.
Artificial stone can be classified as a type of ceramic tile that imitates natural material. The technical indicators of the stone make it possible to use it in high-risk places, including on the balcony, since it is not always possible to create favorable conditions on it, even if it is glazed.
Advantages of decorative stone:
- A variety of textures;
- Laying is done quickly, often without preliminary surface preparation;
- Ease of installation;
- Fire safety;
- Durability, not susceptible to decay;
- Resistant to chemical components contained in detergents.
The dark colors of the stone bring some gloom to the interior of small rooms, to which the balcony belongs, and this is the main drawback of the material. To solve the problem, it is combined with other types of finishes. The most problematic areas - panels, areas near the door and under the window - are faced with stone, and a different type of decoration is used to decorate the rest of the walls. You can also use light colors of decorative stone, which visually move the walls apart and increase the size of the room.
Balcony cladding with plastic panels, choose pvc panels for the balcony
As for the shortcomings, there are practically none. This is perhaps the relative fragility of PVC panels for the balcony and the imperfection of very cheap samples. Remember, the cheaper the plastic sheets are, the more hassle they will be during installation.
Sheathing a balcony with plastic panels is a pleasant and simple task, which a beginner can also cope with. In addition, our video, shot by professional builders, will help you. The actual technology of work includes the following stages:
- Installation of the lathing. Perpendicular to the direction of the cladding, install a batten of wooden or metal battens at a distance of 400-500 mm from each other. Control the quality of the mounted base by level.
- Installation of the first panel. Cut the wall panels for the balcony to the desired size and place the first sheet in the corner of the batten, level it. Secure the part with self-tapping screws with a press washer or furniture stapler. Install the rest of the structural elements in the same way.
- Installation of the final profile. The theory of how to sheathe a balcony with plastic panels does not end there. After processing each wall, it is necessary to install finishing profiles. The video demonstrates this technology in more detail.
- Finishing panel installation. Cutting the PVC sheet to the desired size, snap it into the groove of the previous element.
Now you know how to sheathe a balcony with your own hands, and you can repeat the work of the master yourself. And for inspiration, we suggest you look at beautiful and high-quality examples of balcony cladding, which are in the gallery.
The principle of cladding the inner surfaces of the balcony for siding, MDF, PVC, sandwich panels and lining is approximately the same. Work begins with a solid wall, and only then move on to windows and surfaces with doorways.
The crate and walls are treated with antiparasitic and antiseptic agents.
Sheathing is carried out in two ways - open or hidden. The first one allows you to get a strong and even coating, the inner one makes it possible to disassemble the skin at any time.
With the open method, the lining is fixed with nails or self-tapping screws from the side of the tongue. In the second case, a clip (special clip) is used, which allows you to remove individual elements in order to replace them. The process of work itself should not cause difficulties.
The panels are cut into pieces of the desired size. The work begins with the installation and fixing of the start profile. It is placed in the corner, with the help of a level, it is fixed evenly. One end of the panel is inserted into the profile, the other is fixed to the crate. The joints of the panels are fixed with a connecting profile.
A corner profile is used to finish the corners, and the finishing one is installed at the end of the work. Before fixing it, you should make sure that there are no cracks in the casing. To hide the joints at the floor and ceiling, a plinth or ceiling molding is used.
A starting panel is installed on the crate in the corner of the wall, fixed with a special adhesive. The next panel is inserted into the groove of the first one, additionally fixed on the crate with glue.
The last panel is cut to the desired size, connected to the previous one and fixed so that it fits snugly against the starting one.
The fastening profile is screwed to the crate with self-tapping screws. The starting bar is installed, after which the J- or H-shaped profiles are mounted, then the finishing bar is fixed. The panels themselves are installed on the prepared structure. Work starts from the bottom, goes up.
The sheets are cut into pieces of the desired size. Special elements are fixed on the walls (external and internal corners). The panels are fixed to the walls with glue, screws or nails.
For drywall, a frame made of a metal profile is required. The width of the cells is made no more than 60 cm. The work is done together - the material is heavy.
The sheets are attached to the frame by screwing in self-tapping screws every 20 - 25 cm. The self-tapping screws must be screwed in deeply so that they are not visible on the finish coating. The evenness of the installation of the starting sheet is checked using the building level, all the rest are fixed to it close to it. When the installation work is completed, the joints are glued with a serpyanka, and then proceed to applying a decorative coating.
Having learned how to properly sheathe a balcony inside with your own hands, you can get to work.
List of sources
The balcony is convenient for storing seasonal items, tools, drying clothes and growing seedlings. If you finish the balcony with panels, it can be turned into a living room suitable for year-round use.
After finishing, the loggia becomes a cozy room where it is pleasant to spend time in any season. Find out how to decorate a balcony inside with your own hands, and you can transform it yourself without overpayments.
How and how to decorate the loggia inside?
Before starting work, it is better to glaze the openings so that the finishing materials do not suffer from the influence of the environment and temperature jumps.
If you are going to use the loggia as a living room, it must be insulated to keep heat loss to a minimum. Warming a loggia combined with a living room, kitchen, bedroom is also required.
Balcony finishing do it yourself is cheaper than contacting a contractor.
For registration use:
- wooden lining,
- PVC panels.
Often, building materials are combined.
Before finishing the balcony from the inside, you need to prepare the tools.
For repairs you will need:
- construction stapler;
- screwdriver, electric jigsaw;
- dowels, screws, bolts, nuts, nails;
- sealant gun;
- measuring tape, pencil;
- building level.
Finishing a balcony or loggia with clapboard
An environmentally friendly and durable design option for balcony walls, ceilings, floors. Insulates heat well. Wooden lining pine or spruce is best suited for covering a loggia. Oak wood is much more expensive.
Finishing the loggia, it is sheathed with panels 10 cm wide and 1.5 cm thick. The material is easy to process. The panels are fixed and joined using miniature nails and grooves.
When covering surfaces, it is necessary to control the absence of cracks, hammer in beveled nails. When choosing a building material, make sure of its quality, study the documentation for the product, certificates. Buy lining with a small margin (10-15%).
The procedure for installing the lining on the balcony:
- The slats are fixed on a pine lathing with a section of 4 × 5 cm. The length of the panels depends on the dimensions of the room and is selected after careful measurements of the object.
- Between the guides of the finished sheathing, a heat-insulating material, for example, expanded polystyrene, is laid.
- All panels fit into the groove. Before fixing with nails, they are knocked out so that gaps do not appear. This is how the slats are mounted on all walls.
- The cladding is sanded and coated with a special agent that preserves the original color of the lining. Every 2 years the protective coating is “refreshed”.
Balcony decoration with plastic panels
Want to decorate your balcony cheaply? Use PVC. It is inexpensive, undemanding in care, easy to install. With PVC panels, you can level the walls without resorting to complicated installation work.
Loggias are trimmed with plates 10 cm wide and at least 1 cm thick.Do not rigidly fix the plastic, because when heated it expands, at low temperatures it narrows. For fixing PVC panels performed:
- lathing made of wooden beams ... Before facing, the walls are insulated with mineral wool, isolon, expanded polystyrene, polystyrene;
- installation of PVC panels over the lathing using nails, dowels, glue. The slats are connected by grooves with fixing nails every 0.5 m. Fastening of plastic using a mounting profile is most convenient. The slats are fixed along the perimeter of the balcony so that the panels go into the grooves and snap into place on the slats. An electrical cable can be placed under the finished cover. Plastic cladding is fast and modern looking.
How to decorate a balcony beautifully with plasterboard?
GVL sheets allow you to level the walls and are suitable for arranging living quarters. For a balcony finish, it is better to choose a moisture-resistant drywall with a green surface. GVL can be pasted over with wallpaper, revetted with ceramic tiles.
Sheathing drywall performed in stages:
- An aluminum frame is made.
- A heat insulator is laid and a vapor insulator is laid on top of it.
- With the help of special self-tapping screws, one-piece GVL plates are fixed, then their parts.
- Plasterboard is mounted, then treated with soil solutions, putty, sanded. A topcoat is laid on the GVL.
How to sheathe a balcony - step by step instructions
- Clean the walls from dust and dirt, remove cracks, chips on them with putty, cement mixture.
- Make the markings to make it easier to mount the guides. Control the markings of the lines with the level. Use it to check the quality of the installation of the frame. Lock the guides to create a plane out of them.
- When sheathing the wall, take care of the presence of steam and heat insulation material under the finishing coating. They will reduce heat loss. Insulate the room with thermal insulation, foam. Route electrical cables for lighting and sockets before fixing the finish.
- Install the topcoat using fasteners.
What to use for finishing the floor and ceiling on the loggia?
- Tile. It is not easy to fit and is quite expensive. For tiling the ceiling, you need to have certain skills.
- Linoleum ... The most popular solution for balcony floor decoration. When the question arises of how much it costs to decorate a balcony, you should think about using inexpensive linoleum. With it, the cost of finishing is much lower than with laminate, tiles.
- Laminate ... Especially popular in underfloor heating. Easy to install.
The ceiling of the loggia is sheathed with the same materials as the walls. Often for ceiling decoration opt for lightweight plastic panels. They are lightweight and easy to install.
You can decorate a loggia or balcony yourself. Knowing the sequence and features of the finishing work, you can decorate the room with your own hands and significantly save on repairs by refusing the services of a contractor. However, if you are not a professional finisher, the quality of the repair and its timing may not suit you.
Like it, subscribe to the channel!
"Windows of Moscow" - quality assurance from the official partner REHAU
Balconies and loggias are an integral part of many apartments and houses. Often, owners of residential real estate do not carry out any repair work in these premises, saving money, however, this is considered the wrong decision. If finishing the balcony with your own hands, the step-by-step instructions of which are presented below, are performed correctly and efficiently, then a full-fledged living room will be obtained, which can be used for any purpose. Different materials can be used to decorate this structure, but the best solution is the use of special panels, which can be plastic, wood or some other. Clapboard finishing is an ideal choice because the material has a beautiful appearance and is environmentally friendly. High-quality repair work carried out for loggias or balconies ensures a beautiful and warm room.
What are the best materials to choose
For finishing work, a variety of materials can be used, providing an excellent result of the work. The following options are considered the most popular.
|Material||Specificity of its application|
|Wooden lining||Clapboard decoration of balconies and loggias is considered the best solution. This material is made from natural wood and also has a beautiful look. Photos of this design are very beautiful. The material is simple to work with, but not cheap.|
|Siding||Its installation involves not only improving the appearance of the balcony, but also additional work is being carried out related to the insulation of this room. The siding is available in numerous colors, and during the production process it is equipped with special fasteners that guarantee a simplified installation procedure.|
|Moisture resistant drywall||It is mounted on the crate, after which all the resulting joints are sealed. Such a covering can be covered with wallpaper, paint or other materials for decoration. This option will not require a large investment in the repair work for the loggias.|
|Plastic panels||They are a good choice for a balcony, however, they do not have the required vapor permeability indicator, so a sealed finish is obtained. They are produced in numerous colors, so with their help an interesting and bright design is obtained.|
The above materials are considered the most relevant and often used in the process of finishing balconies. From them, durable and beautiful coatings are obtained. Anyone who does not have experience in this direction can perform all the work on their creation.
Most often, lining is chosen for loggias, which forms a beautiful coating. It is easy to work with, and in production conditions it is treated with special protective compounds that prevent possible rotting or the development of microorganisms. Photos of such a finish are widely presented in the selection, so you can be sure of the correct choice of cladding for the balcony surfaces.
DIY step-by-step instructions for finishing a balcony
If you plan to independently carry out repair work on the balcony, then it is important to understand how all the details of the coating are installed. The step-by-step instruction describes the sequential actions with the help of which the independent creation of the correct and high-quality design is carried out.
Initially, it is important to calculate the necessary materials for the work ahead. For this, the size of the balcony itself is taken into account, as well as the dimensions of the lining panels or other selected material. It is recommended to initially purchase panels with a small margin, since a beginner can make mistakes that lead to the destruction of materials, which will significantly increase consumption.
Required materials and tools
Not only the panels themselves are purchased, but also additional materials that will be used in the process of work. If the walls of the balcony are uneven, then it is advisable to form a crate, for which high-quality and properly dried wooden slats are used. Particularly much attention is paid to the acquisition of fasteners that should not violate the integrity of the lining, but must ensure its optimal and reliable fastening.
It is important to prepare the following items for work:
- since it is planned to revet the balcony with clapboard, high-quality material is purchased in the right quantity;
- plastic wrap or other waterproofing material;
- wood slats, which must be of high quality and properly dried;
- insulation, which should correspond in size to the cells being created in the frame, and the thermal insulation material can be represented by plates or rolls;
- self-tapping screws, with the help of which the fixation of the main structural elements will be performed, and it is desirable that they be galvanized, since in this case they are highly resistant to numerous negative factors;
- dowel nails;
- polyurethane foam, which provides filling of the joints formed during operation;
- a drill and a screwdriver are prepared from the tools, as well as a level, thanks to which a perfectly flat structure is obtained;
- since the walls of the balcony are covered with clapboard, it is important to prepare a jigsaw for cutting it, and it is also allowed to use a hacksaw.
In the process of cutting the lining, it is necessary to work only with protective goggles to avoid possible contact with small and dangerous objects in the eyes.
Preparation of balcony surfaces
Decorating the balcony with your own hands begins with the preparatory stages, which involve bringing all surfaces to the desired form:
- the old coating is dismantled if it is on the walls of the balcony;
- the surfaces are inspected for the presence of areas on which there is mold or crumbling areas, since they must certainly be eliminated;
- all surfaces are treated with special antiseptics;
- after the antiseptic has dried, a primer is applied, for which you can use rollers, brushes or sprayers.
After preparation, the installation of the frame begins.
Creation of the lathing
Instructions for the formation of a high-quality finishing of a balcony with clapboard assumes the formation of a reliable frame. It is to him that the selected materials for finishing will be fixed further.
To create the frame, a wooden beam is usually used, and correctly dried and high-quality elements are selected. Their thickness depends entirely on what parameters the panels selected for finishing have. It is taken into account whether insulation will be used in the process of finishing loggias, since it can affect the parameters of the lathing.
Before using any wooden materials, which include wooden beams, it is important to cover them with high-quality antiseptics, which increase their resistance to moisture.
The installation of the frame is performed in the following sequential steps:
- marking is applied, with the help of which it will be clear in which places it is necessary to fix the main elements of the crate;
- profiles or slats are cut in such a way that exactly the same elements are obtained;
- slats or profiles are nailed or screwed to the walls, and the distance between them should be equal to the width of the panels used for finishing loggias or balconies;
- the most commonly used timber, for fixing which dowels are used.
Photos of finished battens are presented below, so it is very easy to understand their structure and design. Moreover, their parameters may be different, since they completely depend on the panels used, since the balcony is not always finished with clapboard. Often, other materials are used for this, which are also fixed to the frame.
As soon as the frame is ready, it is not recommended to immediately sheathe it with clapboard, since it is desirable to fill its empty cells with insulation, which will provide a significant increase in the thermal insulation parameters of the room.
Thermal insulation of the structure
Decorating loggias most often involves additional insulation. Since a crate is created, which has empty cells, it is in these cells that the selected insulation is laid.
Thanks to the creation of a heat-insulating layer, a warm room is formed. The optimal choice for loggias and balconies is a penoplex, produced in slabs. Mineral wool is also often used, but its use is allowed only in conjunction with waterproofing films, since it is important not to allow water to get on the insulation, which negatively affects its basic parameters.
Also, interior decoration often involves the use of foam during insulation. However, it is taken into account that it has poor vapor barrier parameters. Insulation plates must fit very tightly into the cells.
The heat-insulating material is fixed with glue or foam, but it is allowed to use different mechanical fasteners for these purposes. A photo of the finished result can be seen below.
The step-by-step instruction assumes that the next stage in finishing the balcony with clapboard is to cover the created frame with waterproofing materials. The most often chosen for these purposes is a polyethylene film, which is considered affordable and easy to use. However, there are many types of modern membranes on the market, with the help of which excellent protection of the structure from moisture is provided. Their photos are presented in a selection, and usually one side of them is foil.
If roofing material is chosen as a material for waterproofing, then before installation, the material must be heated from the fastening side. If you plan to use polystyrene as insulation, then you will need plastic dowels or toluene-free glue to fix it. This adhesive must be applied to the fastening area with a notched trowel. For more reliable fastening, dowels are located at the edges of the plates.
The reliability of sealing will allow for additional use of the sealant tape. Also, do not forget about such works as processing the surface of the frames with special hydrophobic compounds, as well as the installation of an ebb tide that blocks the access of water under the frames.
The interior decoration further assumes the fastening of the panels themselves. Most often, you have to use clapboard, which is distinguished by its beautiful appearance, ease of use and other positive parameters.
The whole process is divided into the following stages:
- work begins from a certain corner of the room, for which a starting element made of plastic is fixed;
- installation is carried out using self-tapping screws, but it is allowed to use staples and a stapler;
- the rest of the sheets are connected to each other by the existing grooves and spikes;
- if it becomes necessary to cut the panels, then a special hacksaw is used for this, designed to work with a specific material.
Thus, decorating the walls of the balcony with lining is considered a simple and straightforward process that anyone can handle.
For a full-fledged finishing of loggias, it is important to pay attention to the floor. For this, the following structures are most often formed:
- the base can be created from cement, for which a screed is poured or self-leveling mixtures are used, and you can also make a structure on logs or a wooden floor;
- a high-quality floor covering is laid on top, and decking, ceramic tiles, laminate or linoleum of higher quality are considered an excellent choice for balconies.
It is important to target materials that will resist changes in temperature or high humidity.
The interior decoration of the balconies also affects the ceiling. For this, the following types of finishes can be applied:
- the formation of the same coating as on the walls, for which lining sheets, plastic panels or other elements are used, and they can be fixed directly to the base or a frame can be used;
- using whitewash for the ceiling;
- creation of a stretch or false ceiling.
Each type has its own characteristics, so the choice depends on the purpose of the balcony and on the desires of its owners.
The end of the finish is to create high-quality and bright lighting. Photos of the finished result are presented below in large quantities. For loggias, you can use not only standard chandeliers located in the center of the ceiling, but also spotlights, as well as LED strips.
Thus, finishing any balcony or loggia is a complex process involving the implementation of a large number of actions. All of them are understandable and uncomplicated, therefore they can be performed on their own.
Step-by-step instructions for finishing the balcony.
Photos of examples of finishing balconies
A selection of photographs with options for finishing balconies with various materials.
In this article, we will consider two types of finishes: clapboard and plastic. The photographs show you step by step the entire repair process from the beginning to the final stage.
Decorating the loggia with wooden clapboard
1. Replacement of double-glazed windows
To begin with, you should replace the double-glazed windows on the loggias. The installation of windows should be carried out by professionals. It is better not to do this work on your own, during operation it will be difficult to correct mistakes made during installation.
New glass unit Rehau 60 Blitz design. Each flap of the two-chamber design opens. This will make it easier to keep the windows clean, since there is a road next to the house and dust accumulates on the surface quickly enough.
Glazing estimate. The total expense for the installation of windows was 18,220 rubles.
2. Purchase of material
- Construction knife and pencil;
- Concrete drill;
- BOSH bit;
- Jigsaw blades;
- A set of drills for wood;
- Stainless steel joiner's square;
- Building level;
- Miter box with a saw for cutting at an angle.
Power tools that are needed for work.
- Bars: 11x19x2200 (knot-free spliced), 20x20x2000 (dry planed, category 1), 40x40x2000 (planed, category AB);
- Euro lining 12x95x2700 (category B);
- Furniture panel 18x400x800 (grade BB);
- Plinth 12x40x2200 (1st grade);
- Corner 27x27x2500 (external);
- Stapik 10x10x500 (category 1).
- Anchor bolts 8x80;
- Polypropylene dowels 12x70;
- Door hinges;
- Furniture hinges;
- Self-tapping screws for wood and drywall;
- Mounting corners;
- Door knob.
You will also need:
- Protective glasses;
- Polyurethane foam;
- Insulation material covered with a reflective film (porlex or penofol);
- Double-sided mounting tape (foam-based);
- Mineral wool;
- Metallized tape;
3. Instructions for floor insulation
- We assemble the structure from wooden blocks 40x40 and fasten it with anchors to the base;
- In order for the frame to be stable, we mount the transverse bars and fasten them to self-tapping screws;
- For reliable thermal insulation, we lay mineral wool with a thickness of 75 mm;
- The next layer is penofol (5 mm thick). This material improves thermal insulation, creates the effect of a thermos;
- The final step in floor insulation is the laying of 18 mm plywood (by bars). This action eliminates the squeak during operation.
The process of laying mineral wool between battens.
Mineral wool is laid over the entire floor area of the loggia.
Penofol covers not only the floor, it is also used for walls.
4. Thermal insulation of walls and ceiling
- Between the beams of the lathing, we lay plates of foam, for fixing we use a special glue that is produced for this material;
- Fill the joints between the foam boards and the lathing material with polyurethane foam;
- Next, we mount the penofol layer.
Stacked foam boards.
The lathing device for the installation of insulation boards is optional. Often, fungus dowels are used for fixing.
Penofol installation instructions:
- We glue double-sided tape on the lathing bars;
- Next, we lay the heat insulator;
- From above we fix the slats with self-tapping screws (for the ventilation gap). It is necessary to make holes in the slats in advance, otherwise cracks will form in the material;
- Connection with metallized tape.
5. Clapboard decoration
A wardrobe built into the wall of the lining.
A box from a furniture board.
Linoleum is used as a floor covering. The wooden skirting board is fixed around the perimeter of the base.
Cabinet doors are made of furniture board.
Balcony decoration with plastic panels
In addition to clapboard cladding, there are also other options for decorating the loggia, for example, finishing with PVC panels.
Advantages of PVC panels:
- Low weight;
- Easy to take care of the material during operation;
- PVC panels are fireproof;
- Long service life;
- Large selection of shades;
- There is no need to level the surface of the walls before installing the panels.