Women's happiness is characterized as a flower that is easy to care for. Some owners, relying on this statement, completely stop caring about it. And they catch themselves when the plant loses its decorative effect or is close to death - there is no flowering, the leaves of the spathiphyllum turn yellow, dry, turn black, the roots and bases of the rosettes begin to rot.
Why do spathiphyllum leaves turn yellow
Before deciding what to do, you need to make the right diagnosis. With similar symptoms, the causes of the problem may be diametrically opposite. For example, yellowing of the plates causes both excess and lack of lighting.
Leaves turn yellow and dry
Leaves turn black and dry
Leaves turn yellow, turn black and dry
Spathiphyllum in natural conditions lives along the banks of reservoirs. During the period of active growth or during hot wintering, it needs high humidity, regular spraying. They are stopped only when the temperature drops to close to the critical mark of 16 ° C.
At first, the tips of the leaves dry out in spathiphyllum. Then the area next to the dead tissue turns yellow.
Dry air is the most common cause of spider mites.
If the leaves are covered with whitish spots that are easy to wipe off with your finger, then hard water is used for home care, including spraying. The problem must be solved, otherwise the salt crust will appear on the surface of the substrate, the walls of the pot, the roots will become less able to absorb oxygen and water.
Women's happiness needs a bright diffused light. The flower tolerates, but does not like shading. If the distance to the light source is too great, the spathiphyllum plates first turn pale, then wither, and gradually begin to turn yellow. If the owners wake up in time, move the plant closer to the window, the normal color will return, more serious problems can be avoided.
When the pot is on the southern windowsill, and the leaves of the spathiphyllum have turned yellow, you can not look for the reason. Direct sun is just as destructive as the absence of light, and the color change causes even faster.
High or low temperature, draft
A heat of 30 ° C or higher is unfavorable for female happiness. Leaves intensively evaporate water, turn yellow, and may begin to dry. Watering has to be done only in the early morning or at sunset, otherwise the wet earthy clod will heat up, the root will receive a shock.
If the leaves are pressed against hot or frozen glass, whitish or yellowed patches will appear on them. Nothing can be fixed, damaged fabrics turn black and dry over time.
Plates turn yellow from cold air currents during ventilation or from an air conditioner. The same thing happens with a regular temperature drop.
An imbalance in nutrients leads to discoloration of the leaves. With an excess, they usually turn black, from a lack they often turn yellow. The location and size of chlorotic spots depends on which element is missing:
- nitrogen - the plates first turn pale, then, starting with the old ones, they acquire a straw color;
- phosphorus - usually at the edges and at the tip, the lower leaves turn black or turn brown, but yellowing areas may appear instead, the element deficiency is determined by the crushing of young vegetative organs and inhibition of root growth;
- iron - classic chlorosis, the plate turns completely yellow between the veins;
- calcium - a shortage is rare, only when watering with water that is well purified of impurities, it primarily affects young leaves, they bend, bend and turn yellow at the edges;
- manganese - interveinal chlorosis spreads starting from the base of the plate;
- boron - the leaves of the spathiphyllum turn pale;
- zinc - chlorotic spots appear inside, young vegetative organs become smaller, petioles are directed vertically upwards;
- copper - the tips turn white.
If the flower is fertilized without first watering the soil, a chemical burn of the root system occurs. Sign - a yellow border forms on the plate, blackened spots appear inside.
Spathiphyllum leaves often turn yellow at the end of the flowering period. This time usually coincides with the end of the active growing season, the plant is depleted, and the owners have stopped fertilizing it. To rectify the situation, it is enough to feed women's happiness.
When the spathiphyllum first wither, then the plates turn yellow, it means that the flower does not have enough water. In a neglected situation, the leaves dry, the root may die off.
With overflows, the aboveground part first loses its turgor, then it will turn yellow or black with equal probability, but, in the end, it begins to rot. Measures to save women's happiness must be taken immediately.
Old leaves of spathiphyllum turn yellow over time and die off. This is a natural process, no treatment is needed. In order not to spoil the appearance, the plate is cut off before it begins to dry.
When the root has filled the entire pot, the plant does not receive enough water and nutrients. First, old leaves begin to turn yellow, then dried areas appear.
Sometimes the owners plant spathiphyllum in a pot that is too large, and wait for the root to braid with an earthen ball to begin flowering. But the soil is not always used of high quality - it becomes compacted and is not able to normally absorb fertilizers, it becomes impervious to water and air. Everything can be here - the leaves turn black, dry, turn yellow, without a transplant, the plant dies.
Insects and ticks gnaw or pierce the vegetative organs of the spathiphyllum, feed on plant juices. The affected areas turn yellow, over time, the color change affects the entire plate.
If pests are not dealt with, tissues deprived of intercellular fluid will begin to dry out, possibly blacken.
The most dangerous for female happiness are:
- spider mites;
Spathiphyllum leaves turn black and dry
Such changes in vegetative organs affected by improper maintenance occur with the same probability as yellowing. But the straw color of the leaves sometimes changes back to green, for example, in the initial stage of chlorosis or when there is a lack of light. If the plates began to blacken or dry, then necrotic tissue changes have occurred. It will not be possible to completely return decorativeness, you can only minimize the consequences.
Often, in a flower, female happiness, the leaves turn black from an excess of nitrogen, if nothing is done, the affected areas will begin to rot. With an excess of nitrate fertilizers, the leaves of the flower fatten - they become loose, abnormally large, uncharacteristic for the variety of dark green color.
Darkening of the plates of the spathiphyllum occurs when there is a shortage of such nutritional elements:
- phosphorus - leaves turn brown, turn black and dry along the periphery, starting from the lower ones;
- potassium - a deficiency of an element is called a marginal burn, turgor is lost, the plates wrinkle, bend, if nothing is done, they dry;
- magnesium - first, the shade of the tissues turns purple or purple, then they die off.
The tips of the leaves dry up and turn black
Often, necrotic changes are the first to appear at the tips of the plate. The most common reasons are:
- Dry air. With insufficient humidity in the room, the leaves of aroid cultures, including spathiphyllum, dry up, turn black.
- Alternating overdrying with drying out of the soil.
- The flower is regularly sprayed, then stopped.
Why do the leaves turn black and dry at the edges of the spathiphyllum
In addition to a deficiency of phosphorus or potassium, there may be other reasons for such changes:
- Hypothermia of the roots. In this case, the leaves often turn black and dry around the periphery, and turn yellow inside.
- Systematic watering with too hard water. The substrate becomes saline, the roots stop absorbing moisture, fertilizers, and aeration deteriorates.
Leaves turn black, but do not dry
When overflowing, the plates darken and rot. Especially dangerous is the excess water in the substrate, coupled with the cold content in winter - the plant consumes less moisture, if you do not immediately dry the earthen lump, it may die.
When the dormant period passes at a low temperature (close to 16 ° C), spraying of the aerial part of the spathiphyllum is stopped or minimized. Overly caring owners can ignore this rule. The leaves darken or turn black, in the worst case, they begin to rot.
Sometimes areas appear on the plant, as if sprinkled with coal dust. They can be deployed anywhere. If the marks can be washed off with laundry soap, the cause is a sooty mushroom.
Usually the disease develops in the honeydew, rarely appears in the apartment. But in the summer, the leaves of the spathiphyllum often turn black on the street. The plant is placed under the crown of large trees - they protect from the wind, direct sun, but are ready to "share" their problems.
If female happiness is under the walnut, we can assume that the sooty mushroom is provided.
What to do with a sick flower
When the vegetative organs of the spathiphyllum began to turn yellow or blacken, drying or decaying areas appeared, you need to identify the cause and start treatment:
- Overflowing - get the flower out of the pot, examine the root. If it is whole, and the soil has not had time to sour, dry it for several days on a newspaper. If necessary, remove the substrate, disassemble it into sockets, clean up rotten areas, transplant.
- From pests, spathiphyllum is treated with Aktelik. It is the best insecticide for indoor flowers, which has acaricidal action, which allows you to kill ticks at the same time as insects.
- The humidity of the air is increased with the help of bowls of water placed between the pots, an indoor fountain, wet pebbles or expanded clay in a pallet. A container with a flower can be placed in a beautiful planter, and the free space can be filled with sphagnum, coconut fiber, sour peat and regularly watered with water. The easiest way is to buy a household humidifier. In winter, a wet towel on the radiator gives good results.
- If the leaves begin to turn yellow, dry or turn black due to nutritional deficiency, it is first recommended to carry out foliar feeding - it acts immediately, then the usual one. You should never water spathiphyllum with a fertilizer solution on dry soil - the root will get burned.
- The temperature should be between 20-27 ° C in summer. The dormant period ideally takes place at 16 ° C. At 12-13 ° C, the plant will die.
- Spathiphyllum needs annual transplants. For lush flowering, it is planted in a cramped pot, the root grows quickly and emasculates the soil.
- In the heat of watering it is better to do in the evening, in winter - in the morning.
- With too dark content, the flower move closer to the light. If the leaves are yellow, dry because of the bright sun - rearrange the indoors insert or cover the light curtain. The southern window is not a place for spathifylum.
- So that the roots of female happiness are not frozen in winter, a piece of foam is put under the pallet, and between the pot and glass - the screen from the foil.
- When carrying out the flower with a newspaper, do not put opposite the jet of the air conditioner.
- If the plant suffered from bad aeration, it is useful to spray it and polish the peroxide solution (3 st. L. Per 1 liter of water).
Experience growing indoor and garden flowers over 30 years
Ask a Question
The best prevention of the change in the color of the spathylulum leaves and the appearance of necrotic sites on them is the correct care. Take care of the flower not from the case of the case or when problems appear, and regularly.
Spathifulum in commoner is called "Women's Happiness". This is an everlasting tropical plant has amazing beauty. In the wild, it grows on the shores of the reservoirs in South America and New Guinea.
The article will introduce you to an amazing plant with spathilulum, rules of care and reproduction, will give several useful tips.
This room plant can be easily identified among the other inhabitants of the Winter Garden. It does not have a stem, the leaves are growing straight from the ground, have a rich green color. A middle veil on the sheet plate is clearly visible.
The flower is a cholester of yellowish-white color, surrounded by a sheet having a snow-white color, in the form of a drop located on a high bloomon. White bedspreads sometimes decorate greenish splashes. During flowering, it acquires a homogeneous green color.
Spathifulum is not only a decorative plant, but also useful:
- Calling the air of the room from the presence in it toxic substances, like: carbon monoxide, xylene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, benzene
- Increases air humidity, highlighting substances that prevent the development of mold fungi.
Almost fifty species of female happiness are known to flowers today, of which they are most often found on the windowsill and in winter gardens:
It is a low bush. It has cream flowers with a pleasant gentle aroma. Covered significantly more rebels. Begins to bloom in March, and ends in October. It is this feature that caused a similar name.
It has smaller sizes in comparison with the abundant-taking representative of this family. Flowers have narrow, elongated, pointed bedspreads.
Blossnaya flower bedspread envelops the pillage of yellow-green. The leaves are large, the color of their color is saturated, remind cannes. It has a pronounced fragrance.
The plants have large leaves of an elongated form. The coat of greenish-white color resembles a flag. What served as a reason for the second name "flagitolit". Flowers abundantly.
Representatives of this species reach height to one hundred centimeters. Their leaf platinum have wavy edges, glossy glitter, painted in a dark green color. The pillage is less than the oval bedspreads almost twice.
The presented views were used as a basis for removing hybrid species, among which there are giants and dwarfs. Hybrid varieties of hardy, long and abundantly bloom.
When buying a flower in a store specializing in the sale of indoor flowers, it must be transplanted, and this requires:
- prepare the ground thoroughly
- the soil mixture should consist of peat, sand, leafy soil and manure, taken in equal proportions. The mixture also contains ceramic chips and crushed birch charcoal.
- the pot in diameter should exceed the previous one by a couple of centimeters. It must be remembered that the flower needs to be transplanted once a year. The pot needs to be increased with each transplant.
- the hole designed to remove excess liquid must be covered with a shard with a bulge, and pebbles or expanded clay balls should be poured on top;
For the reproduction of Women's happiness, the bush can be divided into parts during transplantation. Soaking an earthen ball will help to simplify this procedure. The root collar should not be buried, because the spathiphyllum will cease to bloom. The size of the pot should be such that it is a little cramped for the roots. After planting a sprout, compact the substrate and water thoroughly.
If the edges of the leaves dry out slightly, this is not scary, because the flower needs adaptation.
Women's happiness prefers northern windows, but in winter it can also be placed on the windowsills of southern windows. We must not forget that direct sunlight can cause burns to the flower and cause root system diseases.
The main condition for maintaining the decorative appearance of the plant is bathing. It loves showers. Its foliage needs to be irrigated with a spray bottle. He really likes to be in the shade, warm, but not in stuffy atmosphere. In summer, the flower will have a comfortable temperature of + 22-24 degrees, and in winter - not lower than +17 degrees.
Women's happiness prefers moisture, but its excess can cause rotting of the root system. Experienced growers usually wait for the plant to ask for water by itself: dropping the leaves. Such a period of drought is not harmful to him. When winter comes, watering is done less often, shower procedures are not carried out, only occasionally they are sprayed.
The plant needs regular feeding.
They need to be carried out when it builds up its green mass and blooms. Liquid fertilizers are perfect for this, they are diluted in the dose indicated on the package and watered with a pre-moistened earthen lump. Fertilization in the winter. Women's happiness does not need to be produced as often as in the summer. It will be enough just once for the entire period.
Spathiphyllum are afraid of drafts.
It is necessary to place pots with these flowers away from doors and vents. To increase the duration of flowering, old flower stalks need to be cut off at the very ground. This will make it possible to release new arrows. Simple but mandatory care will prolong the flowering period.
Diseases of spathiphyllum
Leaves turn yellow
What to do when the leaves of Women's happiness change their usual color to yellow? The reason for this is non-compliance with the watering regime: either the flower was not watered for a long time, or water was poured too often. For treatment, you need to streamline watering.
Another reason for the yellowing of foliage is the plant's need for vitamins and minerals. This flower usually suffers from magnesium deficiency. Feeding with magnesium sulfate will help him.
Leaves turn black
A similar phenomenon occurs when there is insufficient or excess fertilizer, when the air humidity in the room where the plant is located is low, when the plant is watered with the wrong water.
To prevent such manifestations, you need:
- fertilize the plant every ten days from spring to autumn, and only once in winter;
- water only with soft settled water;
- remember about water procedures - water the flower from the shower weekly;
- find a good spot for the spathiphyllum.
Flowers turn yellow or black
When such a sign appears, it is necessary to treat the soil with a foundation dissolved in water. Dissolve two drops of the drug in a liter of water and water the plant.
When the leaves of a flower Feminine happiness begin to dry, it means that the room where it is located is too low humidity. Dry air is the main reason the leaves of the plant begin to dry out.
Spathiphyllums are often attacked by thrips, spider mites, mealybugs. Using regular soap and water will help get rid of harmful insects.
You just need to wash the foliage with the prepared solution. If a case of pest infestation has already been started, then you need to use special chemicals that can be bought at a flower shop.
If the listed methods did not help the flower of Women's happiness, and it continues to die, you can try to revive it in such a way as transplanting. Remove the plant from the pot. Soak an earthen ball and free the roots from the earth. Divide the bush into parts, if possible, and put each of them in an opaque container with water.
Plants should remain in the water until new roots begin to grow. Then they can be planted in a new substrate.
Signs associated with the flower Women's happiness
This flower is called Women's happiness for a reason. It is believed that this houseplant can bring good luck and family well-being to its mistress. You cannot give your personal spathiphyllum to anyone, because in this way you will transfer your happiness into the wrong hands.
There is a sign that the desire will begin to be fulfilled when the bud opens. If the plant dries up, this is bad and is compared to a loss of happiness.
In a house in which there is a spathiphyllum, it is categorically impossible to quarrel and scandal. He feels negative energy and this causes him stress, which can lead to his death.
With careful handling of the plant, you can ask him to fulfill his wishes. In gratitude for the love and affection, the plant will fulfill the request. Women's happiness can be bought independently or received as a gift. You need to buy on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - the so-called women's days. Only shoots can be gifted.
A flower specially purchased in order to give is able to help any woman to fulfill her desires. For example, an unmarried woman will find her love, a childless woman will become pregnant and give birth to a healthy child.
Growing spathiphyllum at home is not difficult. To do this, you need to properly care for him. Be loving and caring towards him, and he will respond in kind.
About why the leaves of spathiphyllum turn yellow and black and how to avoid such problems, in more detail - when watching the video:
Luxurious green leaves and elegant sail flowers with delicate cob inflorescences are characteristic features of the exotic spathiphyllum. What if suddenly the leaves become lifeless and turn yellow? Let's talk in more detail about the common causes of morphological changes (improper care, viruses, infections and pests) and effective methods of resuscitation.
Why does a female happiness flower become yellow?
In America, spathifulum is called Lily Delamination . He is also called spaced. Tropical resident really, noble, not capricious, royally generous for greens and exquisite flowering.
reference . Spathifulum - evergreen decorative culture. In the literal translation from Greek. means "bedspread-leaf", "white sheet". Herbaceous perennial family of Aronechniki (aroid).
The rich unfavorable green bush year round is the norm for many years of spathifylum. When the oblong, wavy glossy surface of the leaf plate fusels, yellow is a frightening symptom. The plant weakens and dies.
Main reasons :
- The natural process of updating the bush.
- Lack of nutrients (especially during flowering).
- The result of improper content (little moisture, dry air, etc.).
- Viral infections, fungal lesions.
- "Traces" of floral pests.
It is important to pay attention in time, explore the bush, the surface of the substrate, to revise the norms of watering, humidity, the location of the pot.
Put an accurate "diagnosis" and specify the root cause of the disease, the flower itself will help.
So, consider in more detail "painful zones", where Spatifylum began to shut up.
Main reasons :
- The bush is updated spontaneously (natural phenomenon in nature even in perennials).
- The plant is closely, the roots rummaged, they germinate through drainage holes.
- The lower tier turns yellow after flowering - the flower wondered a lot of strength, there is not enough power.
- Fine or insufficient trimming after flowering and transplantation.
Only around the edge
Risk factors :
- In summer, the air temperature exceeds 30-32 ° C.
- Reverse effect - the plant freezes, the limit of the temperature of the winter content is 14-15 ° C.
- Reduced moisture content of substrate and air.
Attention! The optimal humidity of air for spathifylum is at least 50%. Temperature regime - 22-24 ° C.
Change color and dry tips
The reason for the appearance of yellow tips on the foliage is alone - little liquid and dry air . The leaves are gradually drying out, starting with pointed tips.
We must not forget that Spathifulum loves moisture, does not tolerate drought and summer heat.
He is hot near batteries and fireplaces in winter And on the southern windows in the spring-summer period. Straight solar rays and hot air streams dried with a leaf plate.
Filty plates are combined entirely
The surface of the leaf plate is yellow, the leaves are sluggish and pale - overheating symptoms. Perhaps the straight rays of the sun are too draining the air, which affects the general condition.
The process of photosynthesis is broken due to pests . For example, a red spider tick sucks the juice of the plant, disrupts the juice processes, slows down the uniform distribution of nutrients.
Daily and seasonal temperature drops, overheating or supercooling Pot violates the growth of the root system, reflected on the full development of the green mass of spathifylum.
What happens after the transplant?
On the perimeter, the edge leaf slightly dries away immediately after the transplantation. This is a normal natural phenomenon - the flower is adapted, "mastering the territory." Adaptation period - 7-10 days.
Council of flower water . The first 4-5 days after the landing is recommended to create greenhouse conditions - the seedling is covered with a glass or polyethylene cap.
If you changed the color of all the greens in the spaced
The leaves gradually wither, turn pale, dry, curl - sucking pests have settled:
- Mites (including arachnoid, the most dangerous, characterized by large-scale lesions).
- Shield aphid concentrates in the lower part, dries the leaves.
- Fungus sooty inhibits photosynthesis, disrupts the respiration process (the color saturation of the green mass is lost).
- Thrips - parasites-carriers of viral infections and sooty fungi, "contribute" to the death of the lower leaves, the pest infects new shoots and flowers.
Further in the photo, you can see what the affected plant looks like with yellowed foliage:
What to do to save the plant: home care
It is important to immediately remove the pot from the flower garden. , it is possible that the spathiphyllum is infected with a fungal infection, there is a risk of damage to all flowers.
After the diagnosis, rehabilitation measures are applied, depending on the cause of wilting.
When the lower leaves turned yellow :
- A transplant is required at least once every 2-3 years.
- With each transplant, the bush is moved to a more spacious pot - 1-2 cm larger than the previous one in diameter and height.
- Immediately after flowering, the long peduncle is cut off and the lower wilted leaves are removed.
If the tips of the leaf plate turn yellow :
- Increase the dose and watering regime.
- Bathe the bush under a warm shower, add daily irrigation of the aboveground part from a fine spray bottle.
- Wipe the leaves with a damp sponge at least once a week (the procedure cleans from dirt and dust, refreshes, reduces "overheating" by 3-4 ° C).
- Shade the southern windows with a light transparent cloth or white paper.
- To regulate moisture exchange in summer, place the pots on a damp pallet (a layer of pebbles, expanded clay, crushed stone).
- In winter, place the pots away from air conditioners, heaters and radiators.
Preventive measures when transplanting :
To facilitate the traumatic "resettlement" will help the sterility of the planting container and tools, soil and seedling treatment with disinfectants. Microtrauma slices are sprinkled with crushed charcoal.
If the edges of the plate turn yellow, and then the whole leaf, then you will need :
- To feed the bush for the brightness of the green mass - complex fertilizers, magnesium sulfate, micronutrient fertilizers, organic matter is introduced in the spring-summer period.
- Fertilizers alternate, it is important to disinfect organic matter.
- Do not overuse dressings (combine with watering, observe the dosage).
- Add lighting in autumn and winter using special phytolamps, shade windows from bright spring rays and in summer.
- Optimize watering.
How to get rid of pests :
- Examine carefully the bush, discover the scale of the "disaster".
- First aid for spider mites is the treatment of the entire aerial part with a soapy solution. In advanced cases, acaricides, insecticides (Marshal, Aktellik) are used.
- Spraying with a soap-tobacco mixture will save you from sooty fungus and scale insects.
- Thrips are collected with a cotton swab, brush, vacuum cleaner. They also use special preparations (Agravertin, Karrbofos, Intavir).
The flower "female happiness" needs competent care at home, but if the spathiphyllum is affected by infectious diseases, viruses, pest larvae, turns yellow, dries and does not even bloom, then they resort to emergency actions:
- The bush is divided and transplanted into a new container.
- Sanitary pruning is preliminarily carried out (all infected parts are destroyed).
- Completely change the substrate (discard the old one).
- Sanitize the place where the pots are installed.
- For prevention - hang up Velcro-bait for insects.
What should be done if yellowness appears on the flowers?
The recommendations are the same - a study of the entire bush for the presence of harmful diseases and insects, treatment of the substrate with insectoacaricides of complex action (Fitoverm or Fundazol). Partial or complete replacement of the soil mixture may be required.
In conclusion, it should be said that spathiphyllum, like any living organism, is susceptible to diseases and infections. Timely detection of the problem and urgent "therapy" will restore fragrant greenery bush and return the flower to its normal state.
Spathiphyllum leaves turn yellow: causes of the disease, proper care, photo
Why do the leaves and tips of the leaves turn yellow in spathiphyllum? Since spathiphyllum is a fairly simple and non-capricious flower to care for, many growers, knowing this, may neglect the basic rules for caring for a plant. To help a green pet, it is necessary to establish exactly why this happened, to take the necessary measures to restore the plant in a timely manner and not to make mistakes in the future. Why do spathiphyllum leaves turn yellow? What to do? What are the reasons for this? The answers to these questions will be described in this article.
Yellowing of leaves is a process in which the entire surface or only the tips of the leaf plates acquire a yellow tint, their turgor sharply decreases. But it is also worth knowing and understanding: if old leaves of spathiphyllum turn yellow and die off, this indicates that a natural process of plant renewal is taking place.
With a massive lesion, both the tips and the edges of the leaf plates, as well as the entire leaves, can turn yellow. Gradually, all foliage will turn yellow. The plant will take on an unhealthy and wilted look.
Spathiphyllum leaves turn yellow for several reasons:
- Improper watering.
- Direct sunlight exposure to foliage.
- The air in the room is too dry.
- Diseases and pests.
Spathiphyllum is a lover of water, but it is sensitive to waterlogging and waterlogging. Signs of improper watering: a yellow border forms along the edges of the entire leaf plate, which subsequently turns black and dries; the plant becomes lethargic.
Frequent and prolonged drafts can cause yellowing of spathiphyllum leaves at the edges. And also it provokes a low temperature in the room.
Spathiphyllum blooms for a long time, so this process will require many essential nutrients. If the plant is not given special care during flowering, it loses strength, which leads to its depletion.
Signs: yellowing begins from the lower layer of leaves, which spreads quickly and evenly. If you do not provide assistance in a timely manner, all leaf plates on the plant will wither.
If the flower is constantly exposed to the bright scorching sun, burns will appear on its foliage in the form of yellow spots. The spots appear exactly where the rays hit.
Dry air in the room
Heating radiators are most often the culprit for low humidity in the room.
Signs: first, the tips of the leaves turn yellow throughout the plant, then die off quickly enough, and over time the damage will spread completely to the surface of the leaf plate.
Diseases and pests
If spathiphyllum is properly cared for, it will rarely get sick. Most often, the plant is affected by the fungus. Spathiphyllum can be exposed to pests or spores from the affected soil or from a nearby plant.
Signs: all leaves of the plant turn yellow; white bloom appears on the lower part of the leaf plate or insects accumulate, which can become carriers of diseases.
Consequences and resuscitation of the flower
If you do not take the necessary measures in time, the spathiphyllum will first wither, then die. When it was possible to find out why the yellowing of the leaves occurred, you should urgently provide appropriate assistance to the flower.
If the cause of the yellowing of the leaves of the spathiphyllum is exhaustion, it should be transplanted immediately. To do this, it is worth preparing a new pot, which will be slightly larger than the old one. Prepare fresh soil. Remove the plant from the flowerpot, and shake the root system from the old soil, while keeping the small roots. It is also necessary to place a drainage layer in a new pot and pour a little new substrate. Place the plant in the pot and spread the roots. Sprinkle with earth on top, while you should not deepen the growth point. No top dressing should be applied for a month after transplanting. As soon as the yellow leaves that remain on the plant wilted completely, it is necessary to remove them, and then start feeding the soil with fertilizers. Half of the usual dosage will work for you. Gradually, portions of dressings will need to be brought to normal.
It is important to know that if the transplantation of spathiphyllum is hampered by its strong growth, it is necessary to remove the top layer of the earth (about 4-5 centimeters thick), and then fill up the new soil and not change the feeding regime.
When exposed to direct sunlight
In summer, plants placed on the windowsill need to be shaded with a piece of white cloth or a thin light curtain. It is impossible to rearrange the spathiphyllum deeper into the room, since the plant will begin to suffer from insufficient lighting.
Leaves that have completely turned yellow must be removed. There are several ways to fix the dry indoor air problem:
- cover batteries with a thick blanket or damp towel;
- place a container filled with water next to the plant;
- put a tray with peat, expanded clay or pieces of wet sphagnum on the windowsill; if necessary, add water to the tray;
- regularly spray the air around the spathiphyllum from a spray bottle;
- you can use a humidifier.
With improper watering
If the soil in the pot is too wet, then it is urgent to remove the plant from the pot. Then look at the roots, remove the rotten areas. Transplant spathiphyllum into new soil, and set up an irrigation schedule. And make sure that the soil in the pot is not wet, but damp.
When damaged by pests or diseases
At an early stage of damage to the plant by pests, the bush should be washed with an infusion of wood ash or onion husks. Also, for spraying, you can use decoctions of strong-smelling or poisonous plants: valerian, tansy, celandine and mint.
- cut raw materials;
- place in an enamel bowl;
- pour boiling water;
- place on a quiet fire, do not let it boil;
- remove from the stove in twenty minutes;
- cool and drain;
- pour the broth into a clean jar (glass), close it tightly with a lid.
Spray the air with the resulting product (no closer than fifty centimeters from the plant). Spathiphyllum must be carefully processed from all sides. This procedure is carried out in the morning and in the evening for five to seven days.
You can also use a laundry soap solution and treat the plant with it. But it is worth knowing that it is quite difficult to rinse a densely overgrown bush from all sides with this solution. In addition, the remedy remains powerless over the whitefly.
If there is a large accumulation of insects, you can resort to any long-acting systemic insecticide. You must strictly follow the instructions for use and dosage indicated on the package. If there is such a need, then the procedure can be repeated in a week. It is necessary to process not only the green mass, but also the soil in the pot.
If the plant has undergone any disease, then it is very important to take measures to save the spathiphyllum as soon as possible. To do this, you need to do the following:
- cut off all affected areas;
- process the sections with a weak solution of potassium permanganate;
- then sprinkle with activated carbon (crushed);
- thoroughly spray all parts of the plant with any systemic fungicide;
- process the leaves on both sides;
- prepare a new pot and fresh substrate;
- the soil must be disinfected using a strong solution of potassium permanganate, or calcined in the oven;
- process the pot with Fitosporin;
- transplant the flower into new soil;
- spray the plant again with the preparation.
In order for the diseased flower to recover in the near future, it is recommended to add Epin, aloe juice or Zircon to the water for irrigation. It is worth knowing if the growth point has been affected by a disease or pests, then it will not be possible to save the plant.
The main prevention in cases when the leaves turn yellow in spathiphyllum:
- Competent care.
- Providing optimal conditions for favorable plant growth.
- As soon as buds begin to form, it is imperative to increase the dosage of dressings. You can use any complex mineral fertilizers that are rich in potassium, boron and phosphorus. The nitrogen content should be low.
An important point is the regulation of the irrigation regime. You can find out whether it is necessary to moisten the soil in the following ways:
- To open the ground in a flowerpot and check the condition of the soil at a depth.
- Plant the plant in a transparent pot. If there is no condensation, this is a signal for watering.
- Place a stick without bark to the entire depth of the flowerpot and remove after fifteen minutes. Thus, the moisture level will be visible.
- Place special beacons in the ground that change color when humidity changes at a certain height.
In order to avoid hypothermia of the roots in winter, care must be taken to avoid drafts. If the room is cool, it is recommended to place a foam plate or a piece of thick woolen cloth under the flowerpot. You can also use a cork hot plate.
The tips of the leaves turned yellow
What to do in that situation if the tips of the leaves turn yellow:
- they must be cut off, while slightly capturing healthy tissue;
- the reason why this happened should be established;
- you need to take all the necessary measures: get rid of harmful factors, take care of the plant according to all the rules, and provide optimal conditions for keeping a green pet.
The basic steps will be the same as for the complete yellowing of the sheet plate.
Follow-up care at home
In order for a plant to delight the grower with its beautiful appearance for a long time, it is necessary to follow the basic rules:
- lighting should be scattered, there should be no direct sunlight on the plant;
- the air temperature in spring and summer should be in the range from plus 22 degrees to plus 24;
- in autumn and winter, the indicator should not decrease to plus 16 and below;
- in spring and summer, as well as during the period when the plant begins to bloom, it is necessary to water it abundantly;
- in winter and autumn, soil moistening is carried out moderately, excessive moistening and waterlogging of the substrate is not allowed;
- indoors, it is necessary to maintain a sufficiently high air humidity and spray the plant quite often;
- in the period from early spring to the end of summer and during flowering, the plant should be fed with a complex of mineral fertilizers with a low concentration.
If the leaves of spathiphyllum turn yellow, the reason for this is a gross violation of the conditions for growing the plant. Because of this, it can begin to wilt, and subsequently die. A very important factor is to establish the cause of this process. It is necessary to establish watering, follow the feeding schedule, protect the spathiphyllum from the bright sun and hypothermia.
Why do the leaves of spathiphyllum turn yellow and what to do about it?
Spathiphyllum is popularly known as "female happiness". It is a beautiful decorative flower that adorns homes, apartments, as well as offices and public institutions. Spathiphyllum is simple and unpretentious to care for, but sometimes flower growers are faced with such an unpleasant phenomenon as yellowing and falling leaves. Let's figure out why this is happening and how to save your "green pet".
Leaf wishing is a process in which a leaf blade completely or partially changes its color, turns yellow and loses its turgor.
If old leaves turn yellow and fall off, then this process is due to the natural rejuvenation of the plant - there is no reason for panic in this case.
But if the change in pigmentation takes on a massive character, then it is worth taking a closer look at the bush, identifying the cause of the ailment and taking measures to resuscitate the spathiphyllum.
Most often, yellowing manifests itself in the following forms:
- peduncles and leaves turn yellow and wither - this usually indicates mistakes in flower care;
- yellowing of the leaves is accompanied by damage to their integrity - take a closer look at the back of the leaf, most likely you will replace insects;
- the leaves have changed color and wilted - this usually happens with excessive watering;
- a whitish cobweb is visible on the leaf plates - this means that the flower collided with a spider mite;
- leaves become flabby and lethargic - most likely, the plant is cold in the room in which it is located.
Other signs of the disease accompanying yellowing are noted: the appearance of brown spots, decay of the stems, as well as the presence of mold on the ground.
Spathiphyllum blooms quite often, and this process continues for a long time. As a result, the plant directs all its strength to the formation of the peduncle, which leads to its depletion, especially in cases where the owners do not change the care of the flower at the time of budding and flowering.
The yellowing of leaves in this situation starts from the lower tier, but spreads upward rather quickly. If you do not take timely measures, the flower will die as soon as possible.
To avoid such an unpleasant situation, it is necessary to observe preventive measures, namely, from the beginning of flowering, it is necessary to increase the amount of dressings.
For the full development of a flower, it is better to use ready-made complex preparations with a minimum nitrogen content: this element is far from always beneficial to indoor plants, since it leads to active growth of green mass to the detriment of flowering, moreover, an excess of nitrogen makes the leaf plates loose and slightly watery. It is optimal that the top dressing includes phosphorus, potassium, and boron.
Diseases and pests
Spathiphyllum belongs to resistant crops that rarely encounter diseases and pests. Nevertheless, sometimes, even when creating optimal conditions for the development of a flower, troubles happen, in most cases they are fungal in nature: pathogenic spores enter the flower from neighboring plants or through a new substrate. The same is true for parasites.
The yellowing of the leaves when the flower is infected is accompanied by the appearance of brown-brown spots, which grow rather quickly and gradually master the entire leaf blade. In addition, plaques, whitish lumps, thin cobwebs, or insects themselves can be found on the back.
In order to protect your "green pet" from illness, first of all you need to adhere to agricultural techniques for caring for spathiphyllum - it's no secret that excess moisture or too cool air become ideal conditions for the development of fungal and viral infections.
To avoid contamination of one plant from another, each newly acquired flower must be kept “in quarantine” for some time - away from the rest of the home bushes.
It usually takes a month to assess the general condition of the "beginner" and exclude the presence of diseases, fungal spores and larvae of divorced insects.
When transplanting a plant, it is best to use ready-made soil stores: they are subjected to preliminary disinfection. If you compose the soil mixture yourself, be sure to ignite it in a pan or hold it for several days in the freezer or outside (if work is carried out in winter).
Lighting and temperature
The reason for the yellowing of the leaves is often associated with insufficient illumination of the flower. Spathiphyllum is a light-loving plant, with insufficient daylight hours, its leaves begin to turn yellow and fall off. However, exposure to direct ultraviolet rays is no less dangerous: it burns the leaf plate and can cause significant damage to the flower.
To eliminate the risks of wilting spathiphyllum, it is best to place it on the east or west side.
With the south-facing windows, a slight shading will be needed to create diffused light. And if all the windows in your house face north, then additional illumination with phytolamps may be required.
There is another situation - the sun does not burn, and the plant on the window still dries and turns yellow. Especially often flower growers encounter such a phenomenon in winter. It's simple - it's about heating, which in the cold season dries the air and makes it uncomfortable for the plant. Dry air leads to yellowing of the tips of the leaf plates, it quickly spreads throughout the spathiphyllum, the leaves die off, the plant begins to fade.
It is worth taking care of comfortable conditions of detention in advance. It will not be superfluous to place a container with water next to the flower, line the flower tray with sphagnum moss, from time to time spray the flower from a spray bottle, and cover the radiators with a damp towel.
Spathiphyllum prefers moist soils, so watering should be regular, but moderate. Many growers literally flood their flower. If the soil is light and waterproof, and there is effective drainage in the pot, all excess moisture will be removed.
With a heavy substrate or too small holes at the bottom, the roots literally float in the water, begin to rot, its aerial parts do not receive the necessary moisture - the plant immediately reacts to this with the appearance of a yellow edging on the leaves, it very quickly begins to turn black and grows in size, the plant itself when this becomes lethargic and lifeless.
In order to prevent overflow of the flower, a favorable irrigation regime should be created. There are several ways to know when to pick up the watering can:
- transplant spathiphyllum into a transparent pot - in this case, condensation is clearly visible, the absence of which becomes a signal for a strait;
- slightly excavate the top layer of the earth and see what the condition of the soil is in depth;
- stick the stick into the substrate until the very drainage and remove it after a quarter of an hour - it will clearly show the level of moisture inside the container.
Swamping of the soil is largely facilitated by hypothermia of the root system. Fighting it is not worth it - it needs to be prevented.
To do this, in winter, a thin foam plate, a foam backing or a piece of woolen cloth is placed on the windowsill under the pot. And of course, it is imperative to make sure that the windows do not shine through in the cold season.
Sometimes a florist is faced with an incomprehensible yellowing of the leaves of a newly purchased plant, this is due to the peculiarities of the adaptation of the "green pet" to new living conditions: lighting, temperature conditions, humidity parameters.
That is why, after purchasing, it is advisable to transplant the flower into a new nutrient mixture, and also, if necessary, change the pot so that its size matches the size of the root system.
After that, the spathiphyllum is placed in a warm, lighted place, watered if necessary and wait for it to get used to the changed environment. Top dressing is applied no earlier than a month after transplanting.
As a rule, after 3-4 weeks, yellowing stops, the leaf plates rise up, the leaves become elastic and bright.
How to treat a flower?
If your flower is already sick, keep in mind that resuscitation measures must be carried out as early as possible, otherwise you may not be able to save the flower in time.
The procedure for yellowing foliage largely depends on the cause that led to this dangerous phenomenon.
When the flower is depleted, many owners begin to literally sprinkle it with handfuls with all kinds of dressings. This is completely in vain: the yellow leaves will not turn green back. In this case, it is best to transplant the spathiphyllum into a new substrate with a complete replacement of the earth.
When replanting, it is important to sprinkle the roots with nutritious soil exactly to the level where the ground was before. It is impossible to deepen the growth point: if you fill up your already depleted flower, then this can simply completely "finish off" it.
Immediately after transplanting, the lower leaves may turn pale - this is a natural process, they do not need to be plucked from the plant. As soon as they fall off themselves, you can start feeding, however, the fertilizer dosage after transplanting should be halved, gradually bringing it to the standard value.
If the plant has grown too much, as a result of which it is not possible to transplant it, then you need to remove the top soil layer as carefully as possible (about 5–7 cm), and fill in new fertilized soil in its place. In this case, the feeding regime is not changed.
When a plant is damaged by insect pests, first of all, it is necessary to get rid of them physically. To do this, all the leaves and stems are washed with a concentrated solution of laundry soap or a decoction of tobacco. However, keep in mind that these measures only work if there are few parasites, in addition, on some, for example, on whiteflies, traditional methods do not work at all.
If there are a lot of insects, there is no need to suffer - immediately go to the store to buy any systemic insecticide. In the absence of a noticeable result, the treatment is repeated 2-3 times with an interval of 7-10 days.
Important: you need to process not only the green parts of the flower themselves, but also the soil, since some pests live in the upper layers of the soil, as a result of which it is difficult to detect them with the naked eye. Therefore, do not risk it - water the substrate abundantly and efficiently.
Unfortunately, the situation with the treatment of diseases is more complicated. In the event that pathogenic microorganisms get to the point of growth, it will no longer be possible to help the plant, so its treatment should be started as soon as possible.
To begin with, all the affected areas need to be cut off, and the places of the cuts should be treated with a solution of methylene blue and sprinkled with ground coal.
However, these measures are not enough, since in most cases the damage occurs at the cellular level - with a high degree of probability, the microbes remained in the apparently healthy parts of the flower. That is why you cannot do without chemicals here.
To maintain the health of spathiphyllum, it is important to properly care for it, following simple recommendations:
- create a comfortable temperature and humidity level;
- at the beginning of the formation of buds, additional feeding should be increased (special emphasis should be placed on phosphorus and potassium preparations);
- protect the flower from direct rays of the sun;
- every spring, transplant the plant into a larger pot with partial soil renewal;
- prevent the earthen coma from drying out and waterlogging of the soil.
Any violation of the conditions for keeping such a plant as spathiphyllum instantly leads to yellowing of the foliage and their further death.
For information on how to save spathiphyllum, see the video.